Sunday, August 22, 2004

Police

So Friday morning I was pulled over by the police on my way to work. It was on Lind Avenue, the main, straight drag leading to my place of business. It's a route marked with a number of warehouses, so usually the going is slow from trucks pulling in and out. That morning there were no trucks, and I bouncing along at 45+ in a 35 mph zone.

And as I was passing a non-descript dark blue car, it flicked on its bubble-gum lights on the front and back dash and the officer motioned for me to bring it over.

So of course, I took this opportunity to note to the officer that I was merely speeding to disprove the base canard that hybrid drivers were slowpokes who obeyed the letter of the law. And made the case that I was speeding only to make a point. And wowed him with my knowledge of the subject.

Of course I didn't. I pulled over. I turned off my ignition. I pulled out my license. I turned the ignition back on so I could open the window. I kept my hands in full view. I was polite. I answered all questions nicely. I admitted I was speeding. I apologized. The officer for his part was polite, efficient, and direct. He let me off with a warning. I continued (slowly) up Lind and saw in my rearview window that the officer spun his car around and immediately caught another speeder going the other way.

It wasn't a bad experience, and, as I noted in the first paragraph, I was guilty of what he pulled over for. But I'm a little more aware of the police for a while. And I'm thinking about those people heading for New York this week who got a little "visit" from the FBI, and wonder if such actions would reduce the potential for future problems or enhance it.

We'll find out. More later,