Sunday, January 22, 2006

Football Theology - XL Edition

So here's the question for both football diehards and sunbreak fans - Your current NFL home team has made it to the NFC playoffs. They need to win this one to make the Superbowl. You have another commitment. What do you do?

Here's another one - Your childhood NFL team has made it to the AFC playoffs. They need to win this one to make the Superbowl. You have another commitment. What do you do?

And of course, the topper - Both your childhood and current NFL teams have made it to the NFC and AFC playoffs. You have another commitment. What do you do?

I chose the other commitment, on a matter of faith.

The other commitment was a private party and partial screening/update for The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, which I first wrote about back here. They had set the date and rented the hall (the Historic University Theatre, just north of the U-District) before it became clear that both the Steelers and the Seahawks would have championship years. I strongly considered passing on the shindig at the last moment, but I went and I am glad I went.

First off, it's because my bits are still in the movie. I excel in my role as Office Extra, and I have a few lines (which are still there). And they look pretty good - there are number of industry types doing cameos in the film, including Monte Cook, Ed Stark, and Rob Stewart (who also have lines and also look good). But more important than my mere ego, the movie itself is hilarious - it captures just the right balance of gaming humor and broad comedy timing. It was a friendly house (everyone in the theater had worked on the film), but we were roaring, despite the fact its an early draft without SFX or music. The humor is broad and very typical for your standard gaming night. I'd say more, but they NDA'd everyone, so I'm just waiting for it to come out. Find out more about it here.

And they also ran some of their podcasts, which you can find on the Dead Gentlemen site. And they were broad and hilarious as well, and yeah, some of you may think less of me because I laugh at these things. I'm willing to take that risk. They used to have a comedy show in Seattle called "Almost Live", which was had both Pat Cashman and Bill Nye the Science Guy. This was funnier.

Anyway, how do I justify ditching my childhood/current teams? Turn my back on the 12th man and the Terrible Towel? Easy - I felt that if I stayed home to watch, it would be saying that I felt that these would be their last games, and that I was sure they were going to lose. By going, I was declaring my faith that they would win. And they both handily handled their opponents (I caught the back half of the Seattle game, after all), showing that my faith was not misplaced.

Now here's the final theological question. Your current NFL team and your childhood NFL team are in the Superbowl. Who do you root for?

More later,